Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Hospitals, ER's & Doctors, Oh My! - Semi Wordless Wednesday


Cole-born 2/23/07, pic-taken 2/25/07 after being rushed off to NICU in a different hospital than where I had to stay.

This past weekend I, once again, had to deal with that panicky, nauseous feeling in the pit of my stomach. The feeling of dread!

It seems to be a common occurrence for children with cerebral palsy or any disability that causes low tone in the trunk, to have intestinal complications. Unfortunately, Cole is one of the affected ones.

We constantly have to monitor his medications, keep a close eye on what he eats, and I have to massage his tummy. If we don't do these things then he gets constipated and could have a blockage, which could be very dangerous.

Cole had been a little cranky most of the weekend. On Sunday we skipped church, I knew something was wrong. He had dozed off for about a 10 minute nap and woke up literally screaming like bloody murder.

I couldn't get him to calm down even after rubbing his belly and pacing around bouncing him. Joe tried to do the same with no success either. I helped him a little, and gave him some medicine then called the doctors office.

It breaks your heart and makes you feel so useless when your baby, that depends on you completely, is in so much obvious pain and you can't do anything to help.

After a little more than 2 hours of screaming, and talking to the doctors nurse, Cole finally fell asleep in Brett's arms while I was getting my shoes on. He was comfortable in his car seat so we ran some errands and (thank God) did not end up having to make that ER visit. He was fussy most of the night but didn't ever scream out uncontrollably again.

Now that my Wordless Wednesday is not so wordless, if you would like to see other Wordless Wednesday posts you can visit 5 Minutes for Mom.

10 comments:

  1. Oh I wish there's something I can do to help. Said a little prayer for comfort, for health, for peace and encouragement for you and your family.

    P.S. yep, I noticed it's not so wordless ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your site. You sound like wonderful loving parents. I will send a prayer your way.... I am so glad that he was comforted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog. You really have a beautiful blog. And an adorable little boy. I'm looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had my share of ER visits with my little guy. It's not fun. Oh and the screaming breaks my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry you had a yucky time. I am such a wait and see person, too, nd probabky would have done exactly what you did. Don't feel too bad, you're doing a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Rambler...

    I wanna hug you and Cole.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, so sorry to hear of Cole's stomach problems. My wordless wednesdays....never seem to wordless either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh I hate those moments! You know something is bothering them, something is hurting them, but you don't know what and can't do anything to help it! We have bundled in the car many times to go to the ER and turned around halfway when my Peanut falls asleep contently.

    ((hugs)) you are NOT alone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww hugs hun hope Cole is doing better! Hannah has that same problem, is Cole an oral eater too- we give Hannah Miralax every morning and its amazing for her!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad Cole was finally able to find comfort. From experience, I know how heart breaking these situations can be. Just know that you are THE BEST mother for Cole. You're doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete